Translation work in progress, use Google for not yet translated posts

Translation work in progress, use Google for not yet translated posts

Wednesday 22 October 2014

Nile river trip


During the trip around the Mediterranean sea I've passed over the mouth of the Nile river, and I came up with the idea of ​​taking a trip on the Nile. But for this I changed the aircraft, using de Havilland Canada DHC-2 Beaver in the amphibious version. Beautiful, relatively easy to bring in the air and I will not have landing problems (Why it is called 'ammaraggio' in italian (letterally 'ditching on sea') even when you end up ditching on a lake or river?)

Departured from Alexandria (HEAX, rwy 04), I followed for a while coastal line, then right turn over the river. I followed the water and flew up to Nasser lake, artificial lake created by High Aswan Dam, whole flight made from 7 legs. Ditched always on the river, here is near aiports list:
LegNearest apt
1HEEM Embaba
2HEBS Beni Suef
3HE25 El Minya
4HEAT Asyut
5HELX Luxor
6HE23 Daraw
7HESN Aswan
During the fifth leg, I made ​​my 300th flight hour (registered, I do the flight log since June, in previous years, when I was using FlightGear I just gathered "a few" hours).

entring the mouth of the Nile
For continue the new leg at prev leg final point (I didn't do it in one day, even if whole flight duration was only 7 hours) I used this trick: ditched, went near river bank, switch off engine, anchored the aircraft, waited 2 minutes and then saved flight recoder tape (menu File, item Save flight recorder tape). After it I renamed just saved file, FG is using pattern <aircraft mark>-<date>-<time>.fgtape, it can be renamed, only aircraft mark, following dash and .fgtape extension must remain, otherwise FG will not show this file on tape list to choose from.
The day after I loaded saved recorder tape (menu File, item Load flight recorder tape), after loading it runs Instant reply automatically, I put the tape forward to the point aircraft is motionless on river and click red button "controls to me" on recorder interface. Then I can start the engine and take off for the next leg.
Presence of this red button depends on FDM used for particular aircraft, some aircrafts (like Cessna 172p) have no red button.

At the trip end I played a little with GIMP, the Beaver has livery system, so I created commemorative livery for my DHC-2.
left side of livery, in flight over Nile river

anchored at Nasser lake
Things I discovered at Aswan and what was taken from this discovery will be described in next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment